Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tomato Curry Sauce Base

I've been on a quest to find a solution to quick and delicious weeknight meal preps. In that vein, I tried out a slightly modified "wet curry" recipe from Anupy Singla's "Indian Slow Cooker", and it's been a life saver!  I love the fact that it's as good as any store bought Indian "simmer sauce", but without all the fat(!). It's not too spicy, so I've actually used it in place of pasta sauce as an intro to spices for my kids. 
Here's the recipe:


3 lbs chopped onions
3 lbs chopped tomatoes
5 teaspoons turmeric
1/2 cup ginger paste
1/2 cup garlic paste
2.5 tablespoons salt
1 tsp finely ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil


1) Put all ingredients in a slow cooker, and cook on high for 4 hours.
2) Purée all ingredients (I used a hand blender), and cook on high for another additional hour. 
3) Allow to cool and store in refrigerator or freezer. 

I found myself freezing this in small (1/2 cup) containers and ice cube trays to make for easily quantifiable use later. I've tossed this with cooked veggies or meats for an instant curry. 


No comments:

Post a Comment